Friday, July 23, 2010

Gerry Tully Takes Ages To Do It !

Hello,

Fellow writers and everyone looking in from all parts of the world. I thought I'd spend a couple of minutes on this wonderful site that I'm delighted to be part of to set the ball rolling for myself. To give you some insight into my foolish thinking regarding the written word. After years of neglect from me thankfully, I came to the realization that I can't put this bit of my life off untill another time, or until an afternoon when there wasn't much to do. Along with the very real thougth that death would stop me eventually anyway did it become clear that writing is real, real work, it's a skill, and a talent that needs to be honed. My hat's off to all those who take on such a challenge.

I spent many years trying to write for selfish reasons I suppose. When I was about eighteen I was determent to make a mark in the world so I was immediately drawn to writing as a passive aggressive way of lashing out at the world. I bought a "Brother" type writer, even though there was a computer in the house at the time, but the computer was well beyond my capabilities then, as it is today. I soothe myself with thoughts that the type writer had a romance about it, it was an honorable way to put out short stories and in my mind it grounded me in the world of creating and polishing an idea to a bright sheen before submitting it, via post to whatever publication would have it. Not too many wanted it, and I'd almost worn out my typewriter and my fingers and had worn away the thin veneer of resilience I'd built up against the machine that was publishing.

It was too hard to get the job done without having to actually do some work. I mean, I'd have to sit down and start. I'd have to do rewrites and let people see my bared soul with all it's problems and short comings. I'd need to confess to y poor ability to spell. I didn't think real writers did that kind of thing, that kind of thing was for hopeless people who had nothing better to do but try. Besides I wanted the story finished, and all the adulation NOW! This was to be one of the driving forces in my down fall. Applying this kind of "magical thinking" to normal work ethic is a recipe for failure. Fail I did, I stopped writing to find the real way to get published so that I wouldn't be caught out by that whole sitting at a desk lark.


After thirteen years I found the real answer to the mystery of getting words on paper, or screen. It was staring me in the face all along!

There it was, between the lines on my page and right on the tip of my pen!


That recipe again; 1 PEN, 1 PAGE 1 BRAIN (in gear) and keep going!


Looking forward to reading all that's on offer among us.


Heads down to the finish!!



Gerry.

2 comments:

  1. Used to have a typewriter myself but not as old as the one you said. Just finished my book using 'modern' means but it would be a dream to write one with an old typewriter someday. With less room for error I think it could hone skills and make one a better wizard with the words.
    Enjoyable read, Ger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be unheard of now a days to write on typewriter Noel but I bet they're are those who love it. I remember putting in two sheets of paper (one behind the other) to stop damaging the rubber roller! Also, one spelling mistake and it's over!!!

    I'll stick with the PC.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete